Town of Shelter Island Septic Rebate
The objective of the Shelter Island Innovative/Advanced On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Rebate Program is to provide financial assistance to homeowners to replace a cesspool or conventional septic system for the installation of advanced waste reduction systems. Innovative and Alternative Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (I/A OWTS) and Pressurized Shallow Drainfields (PSDs) reduce Nitrate contamination in our aquifer by converting it into harmless Nitrogen gas. The program is administered by the Water Quality Improvement Advisory Board (WQI AB) and the Town Building Department. Final approval is authorized by the Town Board.
Annual Income Schedule Incentive Rebate
<$80K = $2,000
<$120K = $1,500
> $120K to $150K = $1,000
> $150K = 0
Examples of expenses appropriate for rebate:
- Engineering inspection and design
- Survey maps
- Soil sampling
- Relocation of private well if mandated by the SCDHS because of the I/A OWTS installation
- Costs for installation of a Pumped Shallow Drainfield system
- Requirements mandated by the SCDHS to meet their system design criteria
- Electrical and Plumbing installation
Salt brine redirection from a water treatment system to a dry well separate from the I/A OWTS.
Expenses unsuitable for rebate include but are not limited to expenses for:
- An I/A OWTS installation mandated by Town Code or the SCDHS.
- Rehabilitation of landscaping
- Projects which have as their primary purpose the accommodation of new growth as opposed to remediation of water quality
- Ordinary maintenance or repair of existing facilities
- New construction, including replacement of tear-down buildings.
- Reimbursement of the $750 Suffolk County Wastewater Management fee (note: this fee is waived by the County if the applicant submits their application for County and State GRANTS at the same time as the design submission for County permit or before the design submission for County permit).
Septic Rebate Eligibility Application Form #1